Sunday 19 October 2014

The Adventure Starts Here!

A few weeks ago I almost bought an electric car. Almost.

Lydia (my wife) and my sons, Nathan and Patrick, and I were sat in the Nissan dealership just outside of Oxford negotiating lease terms with the Salesman, Brett.  Brett is a nice guy, not too pushy and very knowledgeable on the subject of electric cars.  We were negotiating terms on a two year lease of a Nissan Leaf but try as we might we just couldn't get the monthly payments down to a point where Lydia and I (well, mostly Lydia) were willing to sign on the dotted line. But boy, did we get close!

Many of my peers ridiculed my idea to get an electric car, or EV (Electric Vehicle) claiming I would spend most of my time on the hard shoulder, phoning in to work, apologizing for my impending lateness due to running out of charge on my car! Clearly I am going to have to work hard to re-educate my friends, colleagues and family members.

So how did it all come to this?

I have always been conscious of our impact on the environment and I am utterly convinced that we all have a part to play in saving our planet for our children. Unfortunately, I have been a bit of a hypocrite in this regard. You see, I drive a gas-guzzling car that churns out eye-watering amounts of CO2.

In the back of my mind I have always felt a tinge of guilt about driving this car to work and back, but was reluctant to give up the comfort and serenity one only gets with a large, heavy car.

I don't recall what it was that gave me the impetus to finally make the change but here we are, I'm actively looking to make a positive impact on my environment and I'm starting with my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment